The department provides a minimum funding breakdown.
- For an MSc student, the minimum RA for 2023-2024 academic year works out to $1, 578.50/ month.
- For a PhD student, the minimum RA for the 2023-2024 academic year works out to $1, 695.17/ month.
- If your minimum RA is not equal to or greater than the amounts listed above, contact your supervisor as soon as possible.
There are several important things to note:
- Your minimum funding does not include tuition, which you will need to pay each semester (including summer).
- If you have a UVic award, it is guaranteed for your first year at UVic and your funding will normally then go to the minimum funding level unless your supervisor agrees to boost your research assistantship (RA) to match the difference. Have this discussion with your supervisor in the summer before the following term.
- The minimum funding is set by the department. The minimum funding was (significantly) raised for the 2017-2018 school year to the median minimum funding across Canada. The TA wage increases by ~1% a year from the Union negotiated contract (still below inflation of ~2%). You should keep track of how your funding compares to schools around the country.